Providence Health & Services Medical Assistant II in Santa Monica, California
Providence is calling a Medical Assistant II ( Full time, Day shift) to Providence Saint Johns Medical Foundation in Santa Monica, CA.
We are seeking a Medical Assistant II r esponsible for providing direct care to patients under the direction of the physician and/or licensed nurse.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
Performs job functions timely, efficiently and effectively utilizing knowledge of medical assistant training and skills:
• Delivers upon the service expectations of both our patients and fellow staff members by listening to their needs; engaging in positive interactions; and following through on promises made in a thoughtful, efficient, timely and courteous manner so that their total outcome is better than expected.
• Respects the dignity, confidentiality and privacy of patients.
• Works in a safe manner, adhering to general safety precautions and standards. Reports any unsafe conditions to their supervisor and/or the safety hotline.
• Performs back office skills -- vital signs, BP, weight, history taking, IM/Sub Q injections, minor procedures, sterile case set-up, assist with minor surgeries, autoclaving, EKG, treadmill, PFTs, pulse oximetry, Accu check, surgery scheduling, make and verify appointments, call back authorized pharmacy refill prescriptions, ICD-9, CPT coding.
• Administers routine immunizations, injections and skin tests following verification of dosages and with appropriate documentation.
• Performs blood pressure checks. Informs practitioner of results.
• Assists with emergencies as needed.
• Provides accurate, complete, legible and timely documentation of all procedures performed in the medical record.
• Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of procedures included in the Medical Assistant scope of practice.
• Communicates all test results, patient concerns and changes in the patient’s condition to the physician or registered nurse.
• Follows correct procedures for handling and disposing of biohazardous infectious waste.
• Performs daily and weekly environmental cleaning and equipment quality control and maintenance.
• Orders and maintains current inventories of medication and supplies.
• Checks for outdated medication on a monthly basis.
• Complies with all applicable infection control and safety procedures.
• Demonstrates awareness of current state, federal and local laws.
• Uses appropriate reporting mechanisms as required by state laws.
Provides open and timely communication with patients, families and their significant others:
• Provides sufficient information to allow patients and their significant others to participate in the patient's care.
• Provides educational resources to the patient/family as appropriate as instructed by the physician or registered nurse.
Demonstrates commitment to education and sharing of knowledge:
• Assists in the orientation of new personnel to the office.
• Obtains ongoing education consistent with level and area of practice.
• Maintains current American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers and other appropriate certifications.
• May be asked to serve as a preceptor to others. This will include but not be limited to:
◦ Completion of an 8-hour preceptor class.
◦ Orient and train new personnel or assist in re-orienting / re-training existing personnel.
◦ Review appropriate checklist and monitor completion of specific areas.
◦ Help the orientee seek learning opportunities with a review of pertinent Policy and Procedure, observation skills, and checklist completion.
◦ Provide feedback to supervisor on areas completed and areas needing additional training.
Required qualifications for this position include:
Graduate of school for medical assistants and certificate or Diploma/certificate from the military in Medical Specialist Course
Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers
Two (2) years health care experience
Knowledge of UR/QA requirements
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence Health & Services is further developing its physician integration strategy. As part of this growth, Providence Saint John’s Medical Foundation came into flourishing. Saint John’s Medical Foundation is an integrated, not-for-profit network of medical clinics and affiliated services, servicing the greater Santa Monica and Los Angeles area. The Foundation is expected to continue to grow in the next several years, bringing with it facilities, staff and physician growth to support that objective.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Medical Assistant
Location: California-Santa Monica
Req ID: 262675